CEO, Queanbeyan-palerang Regional Council
Peter Tegart is CEO of Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council following the merger of Queanbeyan and Palerang Councils on 12 May. With a population over 58,000 and operational budget over $200m, QPRC is forecast to become one of the largest regional councils in NSW based on its high population growth.
Peter is equipped for that challenge having been a general manager at coastal and inland NSW regional councils initiating asset and financial sustainability reviews, and facilitating major commercial and transport infrastructure investments by the public and private sectors. Peter also brings to the table experience as an agency general manager with the commonwealth government involved in red tape, governance, cost recovery and enterprise agreement reforms.
Turning sights to smart communities, Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council’s approach has been to build ‘smart cities’ into strategic thinking to:
- transform the CBD, to guide commercial activation and pedestrianisation, and to increase number of workers and residents into CBD to invigorate retail and lifestyle precinct
- establish what digital elements will support the Transformation,
- construct a Smart Hub to attract government and small business tenancies and small business incubation;
- construct new public domain with CBD wifi connecting green spaces for casual work and social/digital interaction
- facilitate smart technology hub in greenfield business park